The Catholic Letter Home Page
Porn Addiction & Recovery Questions
Should I Have A Sober Counter?Most recovering addicts can tell you almost exactly how long they've been sober (call it sober, pure, chaste, whatever you want--what we're talking about is the number of days they've been clean from their addicted behavior). And yet, many recovering addicts practically discourage the use of a 'counter'.
I've often heard complaints about the pre-Vatican II approach to catechizing children. Special emphasis is put on the idea that the children are (or were) memorizing things they have no understanding of. What's more, the children don't see the practical use for the knowledge, and it would be better to allow them to learn the stuff as they grow older and have more experience.Of course, no real argument is needed to rebuke this. Just look what has happened ever since we wandered away from the Baltimore Catechism (something I wish I had been forced to study as a child). People got caught up in the notion of allowing children to ‘think things out instead of memorizing facts' and we now have two generations of people who don't have the slightest understanding of their faith. I would say we (we being the generations who weren't properly catechized in school) got shafted!
Pornography Addiction FAQ
- Am I addicted to pornography or to masturbation?
- I never look at pornography-how do I stop masturbation?
- How do I know if I'm addicted to pornography?
- If I'm addicted to pornography, will I ever be able to stop looking at it?
- Can I still go to communion if I'm addicted to pornography or masturbation?
- Do I have to tell my wife about it if I'm addicted to pornography?
- What if my wife tells other people about my pornography addiction?
- Where do I get help with pornography addiction?